Happy Sunday! It is absolutely gorgeous here today. I am taking a rest day after running 2 days in a row. I know, I’m pretty much ready for the Olympics. I can’t even begin to tell you how awesome it feels to run after this pregnancy compared to my first. It took me well over a year to feel comfortable running after having Nolan, and honestly I feel better now and it’s only been 8 weeks since having Jude. Just a little bit different 🙂 I think it really has to do with the fact that I don’t have any expectations this time around. I know that it’s going to be hard, I know that it’s normal for this little guy to take 20 minute naps (he’s really into these right now :)) instead of 2 hours, and just run as strong as I’m feeling and walk when I need to. I try to get in 30 minutes of running and walking each time, so Jude gets some time on his little playmat next to my treadmill for a few minutes toward the end most times. I’m just going to keep going by feel and will hopefully be ready for a 5k pretty soon! Also training lately is so mental! I’m all treadmill for now and staring at a blank wall really lets you think and strengthen your mind game 🙂
These surveys are always floating around the blog world and thought it would be fun to give you a glimpse into who I am as a runner! Feel free to take it yourself.
1. Would you rather run along a beach path or on a mountain trail?
—A beach path! I live in South Florida, beach = life.
2. If you could choose the flavor of gatorade at your next race’s aid stations, what would it be?
— I actually don’t know what flavor it is, but the blue one lol
3. If I gave you a $100 gift card to a running store, what would be the first thing that you would purchase with it?
—New sports bras! It’s something I hate buying on my own but it’s so important to have a good one (or a few).
4. Do you prefer to follow a training plan or wake up and decide then how far and how fast you want to run?
—Definitely a training plan! I let myself off the hook way too easily so I need a plan to hold myself accountable.
5. Would you rather start your run with the uphill and end on the downhill or start your run with the downhill and end with the uphill?
—Start with the uphill so I can end flying on the downhill. If you get through the hard hills the down hill is the reward!
6. When you can’t run, what type of cross-training do you choose to do?
—I haven’t been able to get to one in a long time but I love spin classes! Love swimming too.
7. What is your preference—> Out and back, point to point or loop runs?
—out and back or loop runs are the best, it feels like the run is cut in half that way. The first run is the hard part, then it’s just a matter of getting home! All about the mind games.
8. If you could recommend ANY running related item to a new runner, it would be a—>
—I’m a huge numbers geek so I would say a running watch like a garmin or app to track your pace and miles like the Nike+ running app.
9. Do you ever see any wild animals while out on your runs?
—Tons of iguanas (gross).
10. Ever gotten lost while out on a run?
— only once, during my first cross country meet in high school. I missed a turnoff and added an extra mile to the route. I was devastated until I found out that I hadn’t finished last even with the extra mile!
11. If you could have one meal waiting and ready for you each time you got home from a run for the next 30 days… what would that meal be?
—This may sound weird but a sweet potato and either turkey or shredded chicken with barbecue sauce.
12. Capris or shorts… what do you run in most often?
—shorts. Can’t run in capris for some reason.
13. At what mile (or how many minutes) into your run does your body start to feel like it is warming up and ready to go?
—After the first mile or first 10 minutes or so (which is the same thing for me at the moment).
14. What do you do with your key when you run?
—if I’m running with the stroller then in there, otherwise in my handheld water bottle or phone case.
15. If you could relive any race that you have done in the past, which one what it be?
—I would say the first half marathon I ran in Florida. It was the first time I broke 2 hours and felt amazing every step of the way. I found out the next day that I was pregnant with Nolan!
16. What type of run is your least favorite type of run?
—Honestly I love them all! Long runs let me zone out, speed workouts are just fun, and tempo runs are so hard but make me feel invincible when I finish!
17. What has been your biggest motivation lately to get out the door to get your run on?
—my boys, for many reasons! To be a good role model for active and healthy living, to be healthy myself to keep up with them, and my sanity lol! It keeps me grounded.
18. When you go for a run, do you leave right from your front door or do you drive somewhere to start?
—Right from my door. Get out & go!
19. When running in daylight—> are sunglasses a must or an annoyance?
—usually more of an annoyance than anything and these days I am rarely lucky enough to be able to run outside in the daylight.
20. When you get tired, what keeps you from quitting?
— I just think about the end goal. What I’m training for, what my plans are and what will my future self later that day have to say about me quitting? Will I be disappointed in myself or thankful that I gave myself a break? That’s the decision point for me.